Management and Protection of the Rural Environment
The course is aiming at the comprehension of the mechanisms through which agricultural activities exert pressures on natural resources. A further objective is to familiarize students with the concept of agro-ecosystems as well as the identification and assessment of their multiple services (economic, social and environmental). Finally, through the analysis of organic farming, to achieve a synthetic and objective view of the relationship between agriculture and the environment, through an agro-ecological lens.
Upon successful completion of the course students should be able to:
- Acquire knowledge of and understand the relationship between farming and the environment, as far as natural resource management, biodiversity conservation and landscape protection are concerend
- Acquire knowledge on, distinguish and evaluate specific management practices and assess theirenvironmental impacts, using contemporary evaluation tools
- To be able to use the knowledge and skills acquired in order to combine and synthesize data of different origin (economic, social, environmental), drawing conlusions and promoting synthetic interpretations of a interdisciplinary character.
- To communicate clearly the conclusions as well as the rationale behind the conclusions and interpretations both to experts and lay persons.
- Acquire the skills that would enable him/her to advance in his/her studies