Methods of Agroeconomic and Sociological Research
The course is divided into two parts: the theoretical and the practical involving the laboratory work. In the theoretical part of the course the student understands that the target of research is explorative, descriptive and explanatory. At the explorative stage, the target is to help the breaking down of the questions and the preparation of the research. The most important part of the socio-economic research is the descriptive part which uses both the quantitative and qualitative methods of data collection. At the explanatory level, the target is to identify the causes and reasons why something is happening. Thus, the student is taught how he/she will follow the steps/stages of the research process from asking the basic research question to the design of the research, the selection of method, the collection of information, the analysis of findings with the use of appropriate technical tools, their explanation and the writing up and dissemination of results.
In the laboratory, the student receives the knowledge of sampling, the counting tools and the methods of analysis with the use of SPSS.
The course has been included in the programme “open courses- central register for Greek open courses” financed by the EU.
After the completion of the course, the student will have:
- obtained the theoretical knowledge to pose and investigate a research question
- developed the technical skills for the investigation of social and economic problems in rural areas
- acquired the capacity to understand and explain the socioeconomic phenomena studied
- discovered regularity and order behind socioeconomic phenomena and will have obtained the ability to place their explanation in the modern context of their operation
- obtained the theoretical knowledge and the technical skills to manage and handle critical problems in research and development at a national and international level
- develop the capacity to analyze data/information, synthesize findings, explain and compose final reports